Screwdriver place setting


There is weird a phenomenon happening in my kitchen drawer. Somehow, every single item from my flatware is different from the next. I have to say that I don't remember ever buying a table set. Forks, spoons and knives were given to me by family members or friends after moving out of my parents’ place years ago. Many of these utensils probably come from the high school cafeteria where I used to borrow them to eat my lunch and would forget to bring back. I would like, for once, to own one of these nice table sets that you use when mom and dad come for diner.

I also own an incredible amount of screw drivers. I have to say that I love buying tools. The problem is that I also bought two multi-bit screwdrivers, two electric drills and a Dremel... I don't need my old tools anymore. Also, since they were bad quality, the Philips head all got stripped and I only use the flat ones to open paint cans.

Here's how to merge two problems into one cool solution.

YOU WILL NEED :

- Acrylic handle screwdrivers
- An old table set
- A metal saw
- A heat gun
- A clamp

































1- HEAT

The first step is to heat the metal part of the screwdriver. Make sure the air doesn't get on the plastic handle because it will melt like ice. It should take about 30 seconds on full power.







2- PULL

Squeeze the metal part in a clamp and pull on the handle using gloves. My little sister could do it.
This is actually the same process as the manufactured one... but a bit more manual.

 3- REPEAT

Repeat step 1 and 2 for all unwanted tools.









4- MARK

Use a Sharpie marker to indicate where you'll have to cut the flatware.








5- CUT

You can use a steel cutters, a metal saw, a buffer, a band saw... or whatever you have that can cut steel.





 6- GRIND

Sand down the excess steel. The flatware handle should be about 2 mm larger than the hole in the acrylic handle.
7- HEAT

Use a heat gun or put the flatware in the oven at 300 degrees (no microwave...duh).  It should take about 1 minute with the heat gun. Use glove because it's HOT.  Be careful not to leave it for too long because the flatware might turn brown and get stained by impurities.
 8- INSERT

While still hot, insert the flatware in the proper handle. Don't breathe the fumes of the acrylic melting or you'll have a big headache. Let everything cool and harden for 30 minutes.
9- FILL

I used SUGRU to fill the holes left in the handle. Sugru is a kind of silicone paste that hardens in a few hours to leave you the time to do a clean job. It also comes in different colors. If you are experimented with epoxy, this would also do a great finish.
10 - DONE

Congratulations, you've just made your own handyman place setting. Remember that acrylic won't survive to the dishwasher. It's better to wash these utensils manually.